Sunday, January 8, 2017

(Kid Approved) Baked Sweet Potato Fries

I'm not going to let Jan 10th, 2017 happen without blogging!  

How has it been 362 days since I've blogged a recipe?

I'll tell you how... I got pregnant and gave birth to this little sweet thing:  Mackenzie Jane Ritter.  Born Oct 18, 2016 weighing just over 8 pounds and is so delicious I have to restrain myself from nibbling her sweet toes. 💜

Oh sweet Jesus, thank you for this little love muffin.
Speaking of sweet things... I thought I'd talk about my sweet potato fries... But first, my confession...

On New Years Eve, I mumbled to Chris, "What if I decided to start food blogging again?  Say at least once a month?  Am I crazy?  With two kids?"

It's already crazy, and I'm still cooking up a storm, so why not?  Colton is still helping in the kitchen quite a bit.  Maybe this year I'll teach him to take my food photos too?

Someone thought it was funny to poke an ingredient out of the line.
Alright people!  2017!  Recipe time!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Heat oven to 425

3-4 regular sized sweet potatoes
2 tbls olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp dried minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon

So these fries are nothing that out of the ordinary, but I have made these a million times and a million different ways.  There are all these "secrets" to getting them more crispy without actually frying them: soaking them, egg whites, practically burning them...  At the end of the day- here's my technique and spice blend.  

Notice these are "kid approved" which in our house means "no spicys" and "no crunchies."  If I'm doing my adult version, I add a good dose of black pepper and a pinch of cayenne.  

Chop 'em up
Wash your spuds.  

Trick number 1: Buy smaller potatoes.  If you go Costco sized, you get less skin, and the skin is not only super healthy, but it crisps the best!  So don't even THINK about peeling them!

They can be different lengths, but make them the same width.  I start by cutting them in half long ways, and then placing the cut side down and slicing for more safety.

MJ
It's a funny thing.  You wake up craving a particular food, and then you end up dressing your scrumptiously adorable child to look like said food.  Hmmmm... Oh well.  Here's my lil sweet potato.  People say she looks like me, but I will never look that good in an orange jump suit.

Put sweet potatoes on a large sheet pan.  Add all your ingredients onto the pan.  No need for an extra bowl, just toss right on the pan.  I do NOT have time for more dishes, people!  Get your best tools out (your hands) and toss all together until every potato is coated.

Trick number 2: DO NOT CROWD THE FRIES!  You should have plenty of space between potatoes.  If you don't, get out another pan.  You want these to roast, and not steam one another.  Super important.


Cook at 425 in the upper third of your oven for 12-15 min.  Take out, toss with a spatula, and cook for another 12-15.  I personally think 13 minutes is perfect but it depends on your oven.

Finish them with a little extra sea salt, for a final ka-pow of flavor against that sweetness!


I love these with a little Sriracha Ketchup combo, or a good garlic aioli.

Stay tuned for some more good recipes this year!




No comments:

Post a Comment